- Understand that fractions, decimals and percentages are equivalent.
You’re basically trying to see that:
Percent to Fraction and Vice Versa
To convert a number in % to fraction, simply divide by 100. So 20% in fraction is 20/100, or 1/5 in its simplest form. Per cent, literally means per 100.
To convert something in fraction to %, multiply by 100. So 20/100 in percent is (20/100) * 100 = 20.
Fraction to Decimal and Vice Versa
To convert a fraction to decimal, simply divide using long division. So 1/5 = 0.2
To convert a percentage into decimal
- convert it into a fraction, and then see above point.
- Forgetting that “per cent” means “per hundred.” That percentage symbol looks pretty abstract at first.
- Unable to see the connection between 1/5, 0.2 and 20%. This is worth explaining over again using pictures.
- Shade 20 cubes out of hundred
- Share 1 cube out of 5
- The colored area is the same.